Saturday, March 5, 2011

DIY Burlap Growth Chart

L.O.V.E. the growth chart I just finished making for Kapri. I've been wanting to make it for months now...probably over a year I would say. So I had to go back to her old doc checkup papers & her baby book to get her height at different months of age. I started with birth height, then 6 months, 1 year, 1 1/2 year...then will do once per year, 2, 3, 4 & so on...probably til like, 15 or 16...maybe. That may be weird, for her then, haha...but she'll appreciate it later!
I found this adorable box that has a magnetic flap at Michael's...super cheap as it was 40% off...love that. So it's all stored in one place...her own little keepsake.

I found this how-to, after searching for something I could sew with fabric...but once I saw this one, I knew I had to make one for K with a similar design, but with my own style & colors. The supplies were super cheap...and was extremely easy to make.

I used a strip of burlap, a wooden dowel (cut in 2 pieces, and sanded the edges), ribbon, and liquid stitch clear-drying glue to attach the beige ribbon down the middle and to attach the burlap to the dowels (top & bottom). I was going to do the stamped #'s (marking the inches), but then decided it wasn't super necessary, so I saved my $...stamps/ink are expensive!!
I stuck a push pin into the pillow so it can be hung anywhere anytime I need to measure!

Then I made a little 'pillow' for the bottom of the box, so the supplies didn't slide around...and also made 2 little pouches, one for the safety pins & one for the cards...which are made out of scrapbook paper, pieces of masking tape and a hole punch. Then I just have to write down the date, her age, and her height on them.

It's simple. It's perfect. It's unique.... Maybe down the road when baby #2 arrives, we can use the same one, just have different colored cards and mark their names on them. ;-)


2 comments:

  1. Very creative! Thanks for sharing. Love the colorful tags against the burlap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Catherine Thanks Catherine, yeah the green really adds a pop of color for sure, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you think!! {sorry for the 'word verification' box, I just really hate SPAM comments}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips