Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Chicken & White Bean Soup

The ONLY time I can actually tolerate eating beans, is when I have them in this "White Chicken Chili" - which is amazing... however, I really cannot call this 'chili' in my kitchen, because it's broth-based and very thin....unlike typical thick, tomato-based chili's. Sadly I don't like normal chili, since I don't like beans...and I also had a very bad experience after eating bean-less chili when I was in high school - never wanted anymore since!

So on to this 'soup'...I alter that above recipe a bit to my taste, here's my supply list:
  • 2 large frozen chicken breasts (or 3 small)
  • 1/2 - 1 cup frozen diced potatoes (optional - but I like how these thicken it up a bit, I used Potatoes O'Brien, which has onions & peppers as well)
  • 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed (I like to slightly puree mine)
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 small onion, diced (I used 1/2 tbsp of onion powder)
  • 1 quart (32 oz) low sodium chicken stock
  • 1 jar diced mild green chilies
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • the juice of 1 lime (about 2 to 3 tbsp lime juice)
And instead of making this on the stove, I do mine in the slow cooker. Just throw it all in and cook for 3-4 hours.
 photo Crockpotwhitebeanchickensoup1_zps961bebac.jpg
love slow cooker bags - MUCH easier cleanup!

Once chicken is fully cooked, shred & put back in crock pot to soak up more flavor for another 30 min or so. I also like to use a masher, to try & get some of the diced potatoes chopped up - which gives this soup an even thicker consistency.

Finally... pour yourself a nice little bowl:
 photo 1908CC96-C3CA-4AEF-AA0C-276DE715629A-14691-00000C923276E555_zpsb415fd7d.jpg
before...

Observe how sad & plain it looks...Then get out all your toppings... we like avocado, mozzarella cheese, cilantro, sour cream & tortilla chips:

 photo 42E2E471-E5E2-4E7E-B9D0-3FB607E2A4F8-14691-00000C922E109135_zps6b36e4d4.jpg

Nowwww this bowl looks much happier!

 photo ChickenampWhiteBeanSoup_zpsbc8d77bc.jpg


I also add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to my own bowl to give it a little kick:

 photo B45630AF-3A05-489C-A000-E03AB8C9AB9F-14691-00000C92294E9694_zps11cf6369.jpg
mmmmmmmmm

ENJOY!

Linked up to:

4 comments:

  1. Looks delish :) tried to reply to your sweet comment at my blog, but you are a no-reply :( so sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh really?!! That's odd...I don't want to be a 'no reply'! haha

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing, just pinned, looking forward to trying! Stopping by from Sugar Bee Crafts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea - definitely give it a try! Would be good to freeze as well ;-)

      Delete

Would love to hear what you think!! {sorry for the 'word verification' box, I just really hate SPAM comments}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips